Friday, December 28, 2007

UCF Fans: Distressing Lack of Geographic Awareness

Many UCF fans seem new to college football. They get loud as Hell on offense, and fall completely silent on defense. Especially in short yardage situations. I think that's somewhat forgivable, given UCF's relative newness and lack of traditions.

But, as the Orlando Sentinel reports, many fans seem new to our geopolitical situation. O'Leary recounts a conversation with a fan:

"The guy said, 'Hey, Coach, I'm really looking forward to your first bowl game.' I told him this was actually our second bowl game," O'Leary said. "He said, 'I don't count that one, because it was in a different country.' So we're definitely excited to be playing in this country."

Please note that this was in reference to the Hawaii bowl.

As a UCF alumnus, I am now exceedingly worried about the value of my Political Science degree. Someone alert President Sanford B. Dole-- Hawai'i is an independent republic once more!


Yes, this man was President of the Republic of Hawai'i.

No comments: