Saturday, December 29, 2007

Paraplegics: 10. Quadriplegics: 3.

What a cripple fight.

I'm reminded of a question put to me early this season by a fellow fan, 2005 Miss UCF (See? That's a shout-out!). The question came after UCF's home opener against Texas:
"What would you say to Kyle Israel if you saw him on the street?"
The answer was obvious:
"I would say, I'm glad you're a Senior."

That answer reverberates in my skull like the echoing notes of a cowbell jangled by a walrus-armed Mississippi State fan.

Kyle Israel, I'm glad you're a Senior.

The turnover artist we call a quarterback collapsed against the Croom squad, going 10 for 24 with three interceptions. And yes, all ten points the Paraplegics Bulldogs scored came off of turnovers.

But despite my natural inclination to blame everything on Crippleback Kyle Israel, this is really a team loss. Torres missed two easy field goals. The offensive line failed to protect Israel and got pushed around. Kevin Smith failed to make big plays.

Still, no UCF player performed as obviously bad as Israel. He now joins Moffet and Prater in the UCF pantheon of players-to-loath-for-eternity.

With Kevin Smith returning returning for his last season, there's still plenty to look forward to.

But damn, I'm glad Kyle Israel is a senior.

No comments: